The outbreak of the coronavirus has led to a widespread scarcity of essential items. Thankfully, toilet paper is not one of those scarce items yet.
Items you will need
- Large newspaper sheets or similar papers except glossy magazine papers
- Baby oil, Aloe oil, or any unscented oil
- Large pot
- A handful of leaves & grasses
- Bucket or tub
- Spoon or ladle
- 2 large towels
- Rolling pin
- Large cutting board or any wooden board
- Heating source (gas cooker, stove, etc.)
- Rubber mallet
How to make toilet paper
- Soak the papers in a bucket of water or tub to get rid of most of the ink. Remove the papers once at least 75% of the ink fades.
- Place the paper in a pot with enough water to completely cover the papers. Put in a handful of leaves and grasses to ensure that the paper fibres stay together, and then heat up the pot at low temperature. Let it simmer for one hour.
- Turn up the heat and allow it to boil for 30 minutes to turn the paper into a pulp. Remove any foam that rises to the top with a spoon and add more water if necessary.
- Remove the pot from the heat and scoop out as much water as you can without disturbing the pulp. Wait till the pulp cools before you remove the rest of the water. It is important to not let the pulp dry up.
- Place the pulp back into the pot and add a few drops of aloe oil or baby oil, and mix thoroughly with a spoon or ladle to soften the pulp.
- Spread a towel on a hard flat surface and place the pulp on the towel. Roll out the pulp with a rolling pin to flatten it and make it as thin as you can. Hammer down any lumps with the mallet and roll it.
- Spread another towel on top of the pulp, then place a board on the towel, and then place weights or heavy objects on top on the board to squeeze out excess water.
- Remove the board & weights after 30 mins and flip the towels to make the previous bottom towel the one on top. You can now remove the top towel.
- Place the bottom towel which still has the rolled out paper in the sun to dry.
- Once it dries up, remove the paper from the towel and cut into stripes to be used for your needs.