Table of Contents
It is essential for every undergraduate student to undergo industrial training internship in a reputable organization in order to gain work experience and also to acquire requisite skills to be more productive after graduation.
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) offers internship programs to Nigerian undergraduates in a variety of disciplines for a duration of six months. If you are interested in applying for industrial training in NNPC, then this article would shed more light on how to go about it.
Before I continue with this article, it is important to know more about the NNPC and its functions. Having basic knowledge about the NNPC would be resourceful to all Nigerian undergraduates who are keener on having their industrial training internship in the NNPC.
Overview of NNPC
The NNPC which simply means Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation is a state-owned oil corporation through which the federal government regulates and also participates in the activities of the petroleum industry in the country. It supersedes all other petroleum companies in the petroleum industry as it performs more basic functions that contribute greatly to the Nigerian economy.
The NNPC which was founded on the 1 April 1977 was as a result of the merging of the Nigerian National Oil Corporation (NNOC) with the Ministry of Mines & Steel after Nigeria joined OPEC in 1971. The NNPC solely regulates and supervises the oil industry on behalf of the government.
It is a major revenue earner for the government and the biggest player in the oil and gas sector in Nigeria. The NNPC ensures uniform pricing of petroleum products in the local markets as it is a way by which government subsidies petroleum products to domestic, industrial and commercial users.
As a state-owned Oil Corporation, the NNPC took over the 35,000 barrel Shell Refinery established in 1965 and constructed more refineries located in Warri, Kaduna and Port Harcourt between 1978 and 1989.
For the company to expand its horizons, it was commercialized into 11 strategic business units in 1988 in order to cover all the spectrum of the oil industry operations. It has subsidiary companies that deals with other petroleum products which equally contribute to the economic growth of the country.
Functions of NNPC
- The NNPC is saddled with social responsibilities aimed at improving the social well-being of stakeholders by providing sustainable projects and programmes in all spheres of life. It is also a major driving force in the Nigerian economy as it manages the venture between several multinational corporations which include Agip, Chevron, ExxonMobil, and Royal Dutch Shell.
- The NNPC also deals with the recruitment, training and utilization of prospective manpower that contributes to the country’s national development.
- The NNPC which serves as a sole representative of Nigeria in crude oil exportation is a major foreign exchange provider and it is very important to know its functions.
- It sees to the transportation, distribution and the marketing of petroleum products within and outside the country.
- It regulates and supervises petroleum activities in the oil industry on behalf of the government.
- It ensures that petroleum products are available to the public at a uniform price.
- It contributes to the country’s national development by providing employment opportunities to prevent redundancy of unskilled, semi-skilled and skilled manpower in the country.
- It generates huge revenue for the government.
- It performs both upstream and downstream activities.
Application procedure for industrial training internship in NNPC
The following are the methods to consider in applying for industrial training in NNPC:
- To get accepted for industrial training internship in NNPC, having a referral is the easiest way and you can get it from the employee of the NNPC and it is more favourable if you know the employee.
- Visit the NNPC recruitment page – https://www.nnpcgroup.com/About-NNPC/Pages/Careers.aspx
- Another method is sending an unsolicited application letter and this can be done by visiting any of the NNPC branch offices which can increase your chance of being considered by the company to do your industrial training there.
- You can also apply by emailing the HR manager directly with a cover letter and resume that would give you a shot at having your internship in NNPC.
Eligibility for application for industrial training in NNPC
- WAEC/ NECO holders and BSc/HND holders are eligible to apply for industrial training – which is a compulsory program to undergo in order to gain work experience.
- Industrial training in NNPC is available to all Nigerian undergraduate students irrespective of their field of the study.
- Engineering students are also eligible to apply for industrial training in NNPC as they can be useful in the paper filling, marketing, fieldwork in NNPC filling station.
Requirements for industrial training in NNPC
- You must be good at teamwork and have good communication skills as well as be able to solve problems to be accepted for industrial training in NNPC.
- You are also required to possess an internal drive to succeed and you must be hardworking.
- You must be a Nigerian and have good academic grades from any of the Nigerian universities.
The Benefits of NNPC industrial training internship program
- To become more skilled and trained
- To gain experience in the job
- To acquire more knowledge
- Quick access to employment opportunities after training
- 15,000 monthly stipend and other allowances
15 Similar top industrial training companies/students industrial work experience scheme in Nigeria
- Shell Petroleum Company of Nigeria Limited
- Chevron Nigeria Ltd.
- Nigerian Agip Oil Company
- Seplat Petroleum Development Company Plc.
- Hardy Oil and Gas Plc.
- OBAT Oil and Petroleum
- Nexen Inc.
- Exxon Mobil
- Total Nigeria Plc.
- Addax Petroleum
- TREXM Oil and Gas Services Nigeria Limited
- MRS Oil Nigeria Plc.
- Lonadek Inc.
The NNPC which is a major player in the oil and gas industry offers internship programs to all Nigerian undergraduate students for a duration of six months and I hope this article has been able to answer any questions you might have on application procedures, eligibility, requirements and the program benefits.