Table of Contents
Roof is what put a crown on a building and the type of roof used in finishing a building determines how outstanding that building will be. There are different types of roofing sheets in Nigeria, and I am going to present you with some of them and their prices.
1) Aluminium roofing sheets
This is another type of roofing sheet found in Nigeria. It is mostly sought after but not as strong as stone-coated roofing sheets. It has tendency of rusting after some times but still retain its quality. One of its major downturns is the noise it makes during rainy season. It also comes in different types and prices.
The different types of Aluminium roofing sheets do not make use of the same woodwork. That is to say, the woodwork that works for Long Span Aluminium roofing sheet cannot work for Step-Tile Aluminium roofing sheet.
- Long Span Aluminium 1: It comes in 0.45mm thickness and costs N2,100 per meter.
- Long Span Aluminium 2: It comes in 0.55mm thickness and costs N2,700 per meter.
- Step-Tile Aluminium 1: It comes in 0.45mm thickness and costs N2,400 per meter.
- Step-Tile Aluminium 2: It comes in 0.55mm thickness and costs N2,800 per meter.
- Metcoppo Aluminium 1: It comes in 0.45mm thickness and costs N2,500 per meter.
- Metcoppo Aluminium 2: It comes in 0.55mm thickness and costs N2,900 per meter.
Aluminium roofing sheets can still be grouped into Foreign Aluminium roofing sheets and Local Aluminium roofing sheets. These are based on where they are manufactured. The local Aluminium roofing sheets are always more costly than its counterpart, the Foreign Aluminium roofing sheets. The reason is because of the high cost of production in Nigeria. The gauge being used for local Aluminium roofing sheet is more complete than the foreign Aluminium roofing sheet.
2) Stone-coated roofing sheets
This is regarded as one of the most lasting roofing sheets in Nigeria and it comes in different sizes and designs. It does not rust and is made from steel and metal sheets. This type of roofing sheet requires the underlying wooden framework to be fixed closely during building. That means, a lot needs to be spent on woodwork to get this working well. One great advantage of this is that its woodwork can work for any type of roofing sheet.
Though it seems to be more costly than other roofing sheets, it has a well lot of other advantages accrued to it, among which are:
- Unique Beauty: its beauty cannot be compared with other types of roofing sheets available in Nigeria. Any house built with it stands out among numerous others.
- Soundproof: It has the capacity to absorb noise, so during rainy season, you hardly hear drops of rain.
- Lightweight: It is very light in weight and it is a very great advantage to the building because if the roof is heavy it impacts pressure to the house which can lead to crack or even collapse if the building is not structured very well.
Examples of Stone-Coated roofing sheets are:
- Milano Design: This comes in 0.55mm thickness and costs N3,400 per square meter.
- Classic Design: This comes in 0.55mm thickness and costs N3,400 per square meter.
- Bond Design: This comes in 0.55mm thickness and costs N3,300 per square meter.
- Shingles Design: This comes in 0.55mm thickness and costs N3,400 per square meter.
- Wooden Shake Design: This comes in 0.55mm thickness and costs N3,400 per square meter.
- Roman Design: This comes in 0.55mm thickness and costs N2,600 per square meter.
3) Fibre britment roofing sheets
Fibre Britment roofing sheet used to be very popular in the past as every builder and house owner always talk of it. But recently, it is not as popular as it used to be, not because it has gone down in quality or durability but customers do not just request for it as before. It is reliable, rugged and comes in different types.
Most common type available in Nigeria are: Fibre Britment roofing sheets which costs N3,400 per square meter and Fibre Britment Step-tile roofing sheets at N4,900 per square meter.
4) Swiss roofing sheets
This is classified with beauty, class and durability. It is not that popular because it is a bit more costly than others. It costs between N4,000 to N5,000 per square meter. Some factors that affect the variation in cost of Swiss roofing sheets include: period of purchase, place of purchase, year of production and currency exchange rate
5) Corrugated roofing sheets
This type of roofing sheet is used mainly in agricultural buildings. It offers years of great utility and strength because of the way they are structured. It can undergo decades of weather beatings without being obviously noticed. Because of the nature of the environment where they are used, they need to be maintained every five to ten years. They are mainly used to protect porches, sheds and garages.
Two and half feet (21/2) by six (6) feet of Corrugated roofing sheet (12 pieces) costs N10,000. It was initially N15,000.
6) Plastic roofing sheets
This is the least sought after among all the roofing sheets because of its less durability and efficiency. It breaks easily and so no one can go for what will not last for him. It is mainly used for temporal purposes like covering temporal structures, gardens, sheds, etc. It comes in different colors like blue, green, et cetera and looks so beautiful and attractive.
The quality of the plastic determines the price of the Plastic roofing sheet; the higher the quality, the higher the price.
Two and half feet (21/2) by six (6) feet of Plastic roofing sheet costs N900 per piece. It was initially N1,000.
It is wise to note that you might encounter variation in prices of these roofing sheets depending on your location and shop but it can serve as a guide to avoid being cheated.