Table of Contents
What3words is a global communication application that helps police and emergency ambulance services track the exact location of people at a time of emergency. It just a simple way to explain location using word mapping and is as accurate as GPS coordinates.
Global businesses can use it to improve efficiency and customer services and, offers clearer direction regarding business locations without much hassles.
In Nigeria, not every house has its own address and sometimes it might be difficult to locate with Google Map. This makes emergency rescue efforts in Nigeria a herculean task.
Also, there are some remote villages/places in Nigeria still without GSM coverage or phone signal. As UK police are urging their citizens to download what3words and are using it to speed up response times, we equally advise the Nigeria Police Force to embrace the usefulness of this app – to endeavour to use the app or integrate it into their system on a wider scale.
what3words key information
We have listed some requirements you need to note before you install the software. The software is light but you will need to close after using it on your phone because it might run down your battery.
- App requires iOS 10.0 or later
- App size is 171.3 MB
- Belongs to Category Navigation type
- Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Available in over 35 languages: German, Greek, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, English, Afrikaans, Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, Malayalam, Marathi, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Urdu, Xhosa, Zulu, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Korean, Malay, Mongolian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese,
- Age 4+ and over can use it
- Free of charge except for big organisations/companies
How to download and install it
It can work on mobile and desktop devices.
To download on Desktop:
Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.what3words.android&hl=en_GB
To download on Mobile
Proceed to Google Play in your mobile and search for 3WordPhoto. Install it and open it.
How it works
Geo developers of What3words have worked hard to divide the world into 57 trillion squares into 3m by 3m with each having a unique, randomly three-word address assigned to it. The device does not need a signal to work. All it needs is for your phone to meet minimum requirements that will allow it to be installed and to work.
Who needs this what3words app?
Considering the rising rate of kidnapping and precarious security situation in Nigeria, I think everyone needs to get this app installed. But those in the security apparatus of the country need it the most.
- Nigeria Police Force
- Nigerian Military
- Directorate of State Security (DSS)
- Fire services
- Medical Paramedics
- Forest Hunters
- Coal Miners
- Travel company
- Shipping companies
- Forest guards
- Local vigilante
Key App features of what3words:
- Compatible with navigation and messaging apps including Google Maps
- You can search for your Nigerian address and find your 3-word address
- The 3-word address will never change for that particular location because the grid is fixed.
- You can search and save your favourite locations
- There is an AutoSuggest feature to prevent mistakes
- Available in 30+ languages
- Offline navigation with compass mode
Benefits of what3words
- Find your way to anywhere in Nigeria, even where street addresses do not exist
- Message your friends precisely where your picnic is going on
- Always find your place or tent at festivals
- Speak to your taxi exactly where you want to go
- Locate the exact place where you parked your car
- Get deliveries to a specific entrance in your house