Agriculture in Nigeria needs to be transformed to promote the economy of Nigeria. Due to the vast agricultural resources prevalent in Nigeria, it needs to operate an economy that is diversified and not solely dependent on petroleum.
In view of this, various methods and techniques have to be incorporated into the farming system to make it more sustainable or profitable.
- The use of advanced implements and tools: It is time to use modern farming tools and implements. Using crude tools make the farming process tedious, slower and less productive. Tractors, combined harvesters, and the likes are typical machines that can boost productivity and overall performance.
- Modern irrigation techniques: Advanced irrigation control techniques have made it possible to improve the productivity of farming operations. Several irrigation appliances such as dams, sprinklers, and pumps are now used. The River Basin and Rural Technology Development Authority should be motivated and financed by the Nigerian government to reignite agricultural production in Nigeria.
- Maintaining Good Animal Health: Another farming method is the maintenance of the health of the animals by supplying quality drugs for them. In view of this, veterinary medicine and quality drugs for animals should be taken as a priority by the Nigerian government.
- Soil improvement: For some crops to thrive, it requires specific soil conditions to boost productivity. For instance, soil that is suitable for rice may not offer the same condition for groundnut. It is important to introduce and implement more measures to improve the soil.
- Crop and animal Improvement: There are certain breeds of animals and plants that are improved. For instance, a new breed of cows has been created by cross-breeding the Friesian breed with the White Fulani Cow. The product from these two species gives rise to highly resistant to adverse weather conditions.
- Crop protection: Certain herbicides and pesticides protect the crops from pests and weeds that reduce yield. Better herbicides and pesticides should be introduced to the marketplace. Examples of pesticides that can be used are; Gamelin 20, Simazine, and Roundup.
- Better processing, storage, and transportation methods: Due to the advancement of technology, farm products can be easily transported from one part of the country to another. Examples are the transportation of meat and fish using refrigerated trucks. Chemicals can also be used as a means of preserving agricultural products.
- Use of agro-standards: In order to improve the economy of the country, it is important to always advocate the use of standards. Nigerian government should encourage the standard processing and storage of agricultural goods so as to promote the exportation of these goods to other countries.
- Standardized price control: Another innovation is the standardized price control. This is simply to stabilize the price of agricultural products. Everyone tends to benefits from this policy. Both the farmer and the consumer will be on the same page. Ultimately, this will boost agriculture in Nigeria.
- The quality of products: By boosting the quality of products, it influences several factors. To curb this effect, government agencies have started to implement several programs and policies to sensitize the general public on the need to purchase quality products.
- Land availability for agriculture: Land availability should be taken as a priority in Nigeria. Farmers have to be given an undue advantage when in need of land. By doing this, it boosts productivity, generates employment and ultimately, revives the economy.
- Packaging and preservation standards: The use of advanced preservation and packaging standards will promote the market both in Nigeria and abroad. This improves yield as a result of the participation of farmers in the exchange of information on advanced methods of practising agriculture.
- Use of agro-based loans and other incentives by the government to motivate farmers: The provision of loans to farmers has helped to cater for the inadequate capital which limits the development of agriculture. This helps the farmers to meet their financial needs in terms of hiring machines, purchasing seeds and other miscellaneous items.
- More government programs to boost agriculture: More programs should be introduced and implemented to boost agricultural production in the country. Other projects like Operation Feed the Nation, Agricultural development project and other empowerment programs should be revived and make functional. This will have a huge impact on the growth of this sector.
- Local awareness creation: The creation of local awareness is another method of farming practice in Nigeria. This is usually carried out by the government using several communication patterns. The public should be aware of these programs to enable them to make good use of the knowledge.