Table of Contents
Nigeria, a country with over 140 million people consists of 36 different states and the Federal Capital Territory. In all, it is divided into six geopolitical zones, namely the south-east, north-east, north-west, south-south, south-west, and north-central, each of the states in the country belong to one of the geopolitical zones.
Some regions in Nigeria have been described to be among the top ten most beautiful cities in Nigeria because of the many infrastructures and side attractions they possess.
Today, we will be taking a closer look at the topmost beautiful places (cities) in Nigeria as well as the revenue they generate. In no particular order, the list goes thus:
Ten most loved cities to visit in Nigeria
The city of Enugu is referred to as the coal city. Enugu state has huge other mineral deposits that can sustain one West African country. Enugu city possesses high-class infrastructures, classy hotels and malls among others. It shares borders with several other states like Ebonyi, Abia, Imo, Benue, Kogi, Anambra.
- Awhum Cave and Waterfall: This is catholic monastery in Enugu. The area is surrounded by a variety of colourful birds and breath-taking scenes
- Bona Gallery: this gallery holds various Nigerian exhibitions such as sculptures, paintings and artworks
- Macdavos: Macdovas is situated close to the Port Harcourt expressway. This resort features carefully tended gardens as well as leisure facilities such as a tennis court and a swimming pool.
- Polo Amusement Park
- Enugu Golf Club
- The Magic Garden. It is situated at John Nwodo Close, opposite Fire service, GRA. It is an amusement centre as well as a relaxation spot for friends and loved ones.
Kaduna is located in the northern part of Nigeria, particularly in the north-west geopolitical zone. Kaduna, like other states in Nigeria, generates its revenues through taxes and salaries (PAYE). The total revenue generated by Kaduna state in the last three years is N91.2 billion as reported by Mr Muktar Ahmed, the Kaduna State Internal Revenue Service (KDIRS) Executive Chairman. Kaduna is known to possess quite a lot of side attractions. Some of them are;
- The Kajuru castle: this building is notable for its beauty and peculiar building designs; research has it that the construction of the Kajuru Castle lasted for about 7 years, that is, from 1981 to 1989. The Kajuru castle is located in Kajuru village of Kaduna and it is a nationally recognized resort centre.
- Martsiga waterfall: this is situated close to Kafanchan, in Madakiya precisely. Its water springs from the Kagaro hills. This waterfall is remarkable for its fresh and cool environment, some say, the Matsiga waterfall occasionally displays some kind of rainbow-like mist that disappears after some time.
- Kamuku national park: this was established as far back as 1936. It is a beautiful scene to behold having over 177 different species of birds. It also includes the Dogon Ruwa waterfalls, the Tsaunin Rema and many more beautiful places.
- Other beautiful buildings in Kaduna include the Luggard Foot Bridge, the Nok Village and the Emir of Zazzua place.
This city has been described to be the most popular state in Africa, it is often referred to as “small London” by many and this can be linked to its many infrastructural facilities such as good roads, exquisite local cinemas and bright street lights found at every corner.
As at 2014, Lagos economy ranked among the first seven largest in Africa, the total revenue generated by Lagos state as at first quarter of 2018 was N103.5 billion as reported by the state’s commissioner for economic planning and budget, Mr Olusegun Banjo.
The most beautiful parts of the state are Ikeja, Victoria Island and Lekki. The following places make Lagos very beautiful and attractive.
- National Theatre: this is located at Iganmu road in Lagos. It contains many ancient and modern arts which helps you appreciate the beauty of artworks.
- Lekki Conservation Centre: The centre contains a classy barbecue joint, a beach volleyball court, and a treehouse.
- Elegushi Beach: This is the most popular beach in Lagos. It is located at Lekki-Epe Expressway, Lagos. It is considered as one of the best for picnics and parties in Lagos.
- Ikeja City Mall. This was opened in 2011. It houses the famous Silverbird cinema and also consists of groceries and accessories stores.
- Lekki Leisure Lake, this is located along the Lekki Peninsula. It hosts many aquatic attractions and is a good option for exciting activities as quad biking, banana floats, etc.
- Others are, Tarwa Bay Beach, Freedom Park, Eden Parks and Gardens
Owerri is the capital of Imo state and the state’s largest city after Orlu and Okigwe. It possesses many side attractions such as street casinos, furnished and spacious hotels, professional production studios and lots more. Worthy of note is its beautiful nightlife and road lights.
The beautiful places in Owerri include:
- Mbari Cultural and Arts Centre: This is a tourist centre and is notable for the history, origin of Igboland
- Ada Palm Plantation. This is the biggest oil palm plantation in West Africa
- Owerri Mall
PH city, as commonly called by most Nigerians is the largest city in Rivers State situated in the southern part of Nigeria. Port Harcourt is famous for its breath-taking architectures and numerous relaxation centres. In the first half of the year 2018, the total revenue generated by the state was about N579.49 billion. A large part of its beauty can be traced to the following recreational centres:
- Bonny Island: The popular bonny island is located in Portharcourt. This beautiful island houses many multinational oil companies such as Mobil, Chevron etc. The Finima Nature Park is another amazing spot to visit on this Island.
- Isaac Boro Park: This is an outdoor recreational centre located along the old GRA in Port Harcourt. It was named after Lt. Isacc Boro, a minority rights activist in Nigeria. Visiting this location helps you appreciate quietness, beauty and serenity.
- Ifoko Beach
- Garden city Amusement Park
- Port Harcourt City Mall
The capital of Cross river state the major centre of tourism in Nigeria, it is located in the southern part of Nigeria. The below-listed scenes can be traced to Calabar.
- Tinapa Business and Leisure Resort. This is the city’s best relaxation centre. It consists of game arcades, a water park, a shopping centre, Nollyhood Studio and lots more.
- Duke Towns
- Calabar Museums
- Tortuga Island located in Marina resort, Moore road
- Old Residency Museum
- Kwa Waterfalls
This is the capital of Ondo State, it is famous for the rocky Idanre hills which is one of the most natural landscapes in Nigeria, getting to the peak of the hill will help you have a complete view of the beautiful city of Akure. It is indeed a beautiful scene to behold. It has also been reported that the state generates over 1.5 billion revenues monthly. The beautiful side attractions in Akure are:
- Green Square located at No 16, Oba Adesida Road, Akure
- Game Reserve Amusement Park
- Akure Malls at Igbatoro road, Akure
- Film House Cinema
- Other glowing places include the Dome International Centre, Glass Hall Event Centre
The beautiful town of Uyo is a tourist attraction centre comprising of several beaches, exotic restaurants and hotels. Some of the beautiful places in Uyo include:
- Ibom Tropicana Entertainment Centre. This is a 14-storey building with a 10,000 sitting dome. It is located at Udo Udoma Avenue, Uyo
- Ibom Plaza. It was built in 2001 and it consists of game centres, shopping malls, business centres, beautiful walkways and art shops
- Unity Park (Cenotaph)
- National Museum, it houses ethnographic items such as precious artefacts, antiques and carvings
- Le Meridien Ibom Hotel and Golf Resort
The most attractive places in Warri are located in Abraka. Abraka is a cool spot for picnicking and recreational activities. The major source of revenue is Warri is oil, as at January 2019, reports has it that N383.969 million was generated from Warri Refining Petrochemical Company Limited (WRPC) and Port-Harcourt Refining Company Limited (PHRC) in the last 9 months. Some very fascinating places to visit in Warri include;
- Effurun Garden Park
- Abraka River Resort Motel
- Delta Shopping Mall
- Golden Tulip Hotels
This is the federal capital territory of Nigeria; it is famous for its tall buildings and numerous shopping malls. In terms of revenue generation, Abuja can be seen as one of the highest revenue generating regions. In 2018, the internally generated revenue in the Federal capital territory was about 1.1 trillion. Talking about its beauty, Abuja city possesses many side attractions which made it a frequent tourist centre.
- Jabbi Lake Mall: a large shopping mall in the city with over 20 shopping stores
- Blake Resort located at Ahmadu Bello Way, Garki
- Millennium Park, this is one of the biggest parks in Abuja. It’s a useful site for bird-watching and picnic
- Secret Garden
- Trukadero Place. This is a popular entertainment centre. It is known for its lounge, restaurants and carefully designed building
- Gurara Falls
- Magicland Amusement Park